Pumpkin season is over, you say? Not true, my friends. So not true. October and November are simply the months when you get to stock up on TJ’s pumpkin puree so that the baking fun can continue throughout the seasons to come. Then when there are gloomy/wintery days, you can bust out a can of orange delight and whip up something healthy and sweet and warming. Much like I did today on a rainy, chilly San Francisco day.
Enter, pumpkin oatmeal cranberry pistachio cookies. The name’s a mouthful, but a delicious mouthful.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Cranberry Pistachio Cookies (yields 36 cookies)
Inspired by Lindsay’s recipe
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 of a ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2.5 cups oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- A sprinkling of salt
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (Dried cherries are also awesome.)
- 1/2 c (shelled, halved) pistachios (Feel free to sub with your nut of choice.)
- In a large bowl, mash the banana (If it’s frozen, just nuke it in a microwave safe bowl.)
- Mix the banana, pumpkin, eggs, applesauce and vanilla.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Combine.
- Mix in the dried cranberries and pistachios.
- Scoop onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
I’m pretty sure you’re going to like them.
But just in case my taste test wasn’t enough, I recruited the Hubs for a super official second opinion. The verdict: 2 thumbs up. He even “suggested” that I make more when the first batch was gobbled up. I swear it isn’t just because he loves me. But even if it is, I’ll take it.
Happy prolonged pumpkin season!